Before we started eating plant-based, chicken parm sandwiches were towards the top of our most-wanted meals. This is our healthier vegan version and we love it! You will too!!
The chickpea recipe is derived from KarissasVeganKitchen.com. We turned her meatballs into a patty, then put marinara and vegan cheese on it. Thank you for the delicious recipe, Karissa! Check her site out, it’s awesome!
Chickpea Parm Sandwich
- food processor
- 2 15.5 oz cans of chickpeas drained with liquid saved
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2.5 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp dried marjoram
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 5 sandwich buns
- 5 slices vegan cheese provolone or parmesan is recommended
- 1/2 cup marinara
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Mix 2.5 tbsp flaxseed with 6 tbsp water in a small bowl. Let it sit for 10 minutes (this makes flax eggs).
- Drain your chickpeas while reserving some of their liquid (if mixture is dry you can use this liquid to moisten it later).
- Add all ingredients except marinara, vegan cheese, and buns to your food processor. Process on low speed for about a minute, until mixture is somewhat smooth. It doesn't have to be completely smooth. If mixture feels too dry, you can add a tbsp at a time of reserved chickpea liquid.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper (or grease it). Use your hands to make the chickpea patties, and place them on the baking pan.
- Cook for 15 minutes. Then flip the patties, and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Remove the patties from the oven, spoon marinara on patties (be generous!) and then top with your vegan cheese. Insert back into oven for 5 more minutes.
- Place the patties on buns and serve. The texture will be crispy on the outside and softer in the middle.