As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Before we started eating plant-based, chicken parm sandwiches were towards the top of our most-wanted meals. This is our healthier vegan version and we love it! You will too!!
The chickpea recipe is derived from KarissasVeganKitchen.com. We turned her meatballs into a patty, then put marinara and vegan cheese on it. Thank you for the delicious recipe, Karissa! Check her site out, it’s awesome!
Chickpea Parm Sandwich
- 2 15.5 oz cans of chickpeas drained with liquid saved
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2.5 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp dried marjoram
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 5 sandwich buns
- 5 slices vegan cheese provolone or parmesan is recommended
- 1/2 cup marinara
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Mix 2.5 tbsp flaxseed with 6 tbsp water in a small bowl. Let it sit for 10 minutes (this makes flax eggs).
- Drain your chickpeas while reserving some of their liquid (if mixture is dry you can use this liquid to moisten it later).
- Add all ingredients except marinara, vegan cheese, and buns to your food processor. Process on low speed for about a minute, until mixture is somewhat smooth. It doesn't have to be completely smooth. If mixture feels too dry, you can add a tbsp at a time of reserved chickpea liquid.
- Cook for 15 minutes. Then flip the patties, and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Remove the patties from the oven, spoon marinara on patties (be generous!) and then top with your vegan cheese. Insert back into oven for 5 more minutes.
- Place the patties on buns and serve. The texture will be crispy on the outside and softer in the middle.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.