As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
We were out of flour, and decided to make a heathier version of Vegan Blueberry Muffins. All-purpose flour is pretty hard for us to find right now! If you’re out of flour, do not fear! These Healthy Vegan Blueberry Tahini Oat Muffins are made with rolled oats instead of all-purpose flour. They’re delicious and pretty easy to make.
These muffins are pretty healthy! They do contain a 1/2 cup of sugar, which actually is not very much sugar for muffins. Other than the sugar everything else in these muffins is quite healthy. The sugar could be replaced with pure maple syrup if you prefer. These muffins can be enjoyed, guilt-free. I just had 3 of them for breakfast!
The tahini gives these muffins a bit of density to fill you up for breakfast, or snack time. I really like tahini, and think it gives these muffins a really good flavor. If you’re not so keen on tahini you could tone it down to ~1/4 cup for the recipe. If you like, you could also replace the tahini with any of your favorite nut butters.
Initially I planned on using flax eggs to help bind the muffins, and for the flax nutritional benefits. I had just received some arrowroot powder though and decided to use it instead. The arrowroot powder really works awesomely in this recipe. If you’re unfamiliar with arrowroot powder, it’s basically a much healthier alternative to corn starch that is gmo-free. It’s a super useful binding ingredient that is packed with nutrition. You can use 2 flax eggs instead of arrowroot if you prefer for this recipe, but I think the texture will be much better (lighter and fluffier) with the arrowroot.
Making these satisfying muffins is easy peasy
- Use a food processor to process the dry ingredients (reserve 1/2 cup of oats).
- Mix the wet ingredients in a large bowl, and add the dry ingredients to it.
- Fold in blueberries (fresh or frozen) and 1/2 cup of oats.
- Fill an oiled muffin pan with the batter and bake for 30 minutes, or until tops and edges are browning.
- Let the muffins cool in their pan for 20 minutes. If you try to take them out before they won’t hold together as well (they’ll still be warm after 20 minutes).
Healthy Vegan Blueberry Tahini Oat Muffins
- Food Processor (if starting with whole oats)
- ½ cup organic sugar (for sweeter muffins add an extra ¼ cup of sugar)
- 1 cup vegan milk (we used unsweetened soy)
- ½ cup tahini
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice (juice from 1 lemon)
- 2½ cups rolled oats (you need 3 total cups of oats for this recipe)
- ¼ cup arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
Extra Ingredients to Fold in
- ½ cup rolled oats (you need 3 total cups of oats for this recipe)
- 2 cups blueberries
- Oil the muffin tray and preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a food processor add all "Dry Ingredients" and process until it's very fine, about 2 minutes on high speed.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together all "Wet Ingredients".
- Add the "Dry Ingredients" from the food processor into the "Wet Ingredients" in the large mixing bowl, and stir until combined.
- Add ½ cup of rolled oats and 2 cups of blueberries to the large mixing bowl. Stir just enough to fold them in.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes. When the edges and tops are starting to brown, then they're done.
- Let the muffins cool in the muffin pan for 20 minutes before removing them.
- Juice from half of a lemon
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp powdered sugar
We’ve got many more Muffin and Breakfast Recipes!
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.
I made the blueberry muffins for breakfast. They were amazing. Thank you so much. I had to substitute ground sesame seeds with a little water for tahini as I did not have any on hand. Theses will go in my recipe file
You’re welcome! We’re so thrilled that you liked these muffins! Thanks so much for letting us know! 🙂