As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I don’t know about you, but for me I’m always up for a burrito! This comforting vegan burrito recipe is made quickly and so easily. Our ‘meaty’ filling is comprised of tempeh, onions, peppers, mushrooms, rice and some classic Mexican spices. These burritos taste super delicious, and will satisfy any hungry belly!
Here’s how we make these simple and yummy burritos.. If you don’t have any cooked rice, then cook some up. Chop up the tempeh and vegetables, and cook them with the spices, on a pan for about 5 minutes.
Then put the cooked food into a food processor, along with a chopped tomato (and some lime juice & cilantro if you like). Pulse it for just a few seconds a couple of times until the texture is how you want it.
Return the pulsed food into a pan to cook for another 1-2 minutes before spreading it onto tortillas and adding any additional toppings. We only added avocado, and they were SO GOOD!
You could also use the mixture as a base in tacos or bowls. It would be amazing in a bowl with crushed tortilla chips, salsa, vegan sour cream, avocado, lettuce, olives, and cilantro!
You may also like these Mexican recipes:
- Amazing 30-minute Vegan Tempeh Tacos
- Nana’s Kiwi Salsa Bean Bowl
- Sweet Potato Taquitos
- Vegan Crunchy Quesadillas
Quick Meaty & Healthy Vegan Burritos
- 6 oz tempeh
- 4 oz mushrooms
- 1 tomato
- 1 bell pepper
- ½ medium onion
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 cup cooked rice
- large tortillas or taco shells
- 1 tbsp oil of choice (optional)
- 1 jalapeno (optional)
- ½ lime juice (optional)
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- Prepare your rice according to its package.
- Chop the vegetables, mushrooms, and tempeh.
- if using oil, heat it on a skillet on medium heat. If you're omitting oil, you can use a bit of water.
- Pour the skillet food, cooked rice, and chopped tomato (and other optional ingredients like lime juice & cilantro) into a food processor and pulse it a few times to get the texture you desire.
- Return the ingredients to the skillet and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Stir in nutritional yeast if using for a little bit of a cheesy flavor.
- Spoon the mixture into tortillas, top with any optional ingredients that you prefer. Some good choices are avocado, salsa, taco sauce, olives, lettuce, vegan sour cream, etc. Fold up the tortillas and enjoy!
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.