This is a really good Vegan broccoli rice casserole recipe. We planned for this to be a side dish, but we ended up just eating it as a main dish. It’s got great flavor. The creamy-like sauce made with the nutritional yeast is so yummy!
What’s Nutritional Yeast?
Nutritional yeast (sometimes called nooch) is basically an amazing Vegan super-food that tastes delicious, with a cheesy/nutty flavor. This flake or powder can be used in so many amazing Vegan recipes, or simply sprinkled on top of food (like parmesan). It’s a yeast that’s harvested from sugar cane and sugar beet molasses. This yeast gets deactivated during processing and is often fortified with extra nutrients.
Is it healthy?
Yes! Nutritional yeast is a complete protein, containing all 9 essential amino acids. It’s super high in protein content too, as each tablespoon contains up to 4 grams of protein. It’s got high amounts of B-vitamins like B-6 & B-12, high in fiber, and other minerals. It helps boost the immune system, improves cholesterol, and aids in digestion.
Where do I get it?
We simply just order it, but most grocery stores will have it too. It will keep for up to 2 years if sealed properly, but I bet you’ll use it all by then! Here’s an affiliate link to the best deal: Nutritional Yeast on Amazon
Ok, back to the recipe! Apologies, I’m really excited about nutritional yeast right now. It’s just so yummy, and to find out how nutritious it is made me really happy.
For the recipe, we simply make our rice according to the package directions. Then we make a roux in a large pan with oil and flour. We add in boiling water and the seasonings, cook it for a few minutes, and then stir the nutritional yeast in. Finally we mix it all together with the rice and broccoli, and pop it in the oven for 15 minutes. We know you’ll love it, just like we did!
Vegan Broccoli Rice Casserole
- 4 cups cooked white rice
- 1/4 cup olive oil or grapeseed oil or avocado oil
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1.5 cups boiling water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 2/3 cup broccoli chopped, fresh or frozen
- Prepare rice according to directions, and set aside. You want to end up with ~4 cups of cooked rice.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Gently boil 1.5 cups water on the stove.
- In a large pan add 1/4 cup oil and set stove to medium heat. Add 1/4 cup flour and stir together with the oil very well to make a roux. Once the roux is bubbly turn the heat to low, and add the 1.5 cups of boiling water, 1 tsp salt, 2 tsp soy, 1 tsp onion powder, and 2 cloves minced garlic. Cook for 5 minutes stirring often.
- Add 2/3 cup nutritional yeast and stir it in, continue to cook for another minute.
- Put the rice, broccoli, and sauce mixture into a baking dish, and stir it together. At this point you can add optional things like paprika sprinkled on top, freshly ground black pepper, crispy fried onions, and/or mushrooms. Cook in the oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
Vegan Broccoli Rice Casserole Shopping List
The following list is Amazon Associate affiliate links:
- Cooking Supplies