As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Vegan Strawberry Buttermilk Cake is soon to be your newest baking obsession! This easy-to-make cake is super yummy and beautiful and we dressed it up with some fresh strawberries!
Lately, we’ve been on a buttermilk kick!
The flavor from the buttermilk is present, yet subtle, yet how can this be? Buttermilk is not vegan, but we make it vegan here by using a combination of almond milk and vinegar.
We put these 2 ingredients together and voila!… We get vegan buttermilk!
Such a simple, yet effective trick! We concoct our magic potion with our magic measuring cup and ingredients to bring it all together! We just let it sour for a few minutes before using. This is one of the best kitchen hacks you could ever use in the kitchen, especially when you have a recipe that has buttermilk included.
Buttermilk just adds the most incredible moistness to this cake and we love it!
We used vegan buttermilk in this Rustic Vegan Buttermilk No-Yeast Bread as well! Both of these recipes are simple to make and uses pantry staple items you most likely have on hand.
Fresh strawberries are seasonal, but you can still get them all year round, most of the time. If strawberries aren’t your thing, you could substitute with pretty much any berries or maybe even peaches for your personal flavor of the day.
Add a little lemon zest or juice for a tangy summer boost. And if you’re not into fruit at all, add some mini chocolate chips for a delicious chocolate chip coffee cake instead.
Whether you are making this Vegan Farmhouse Buttermilk Strawberry Cake for a weekly breakfast, brunch, snack or get-together, it is bound to be a crowd coffee cake pleaser! Or just cuddle up on a couch, pour yourself some coffee, and enjoy this simple cake in your own good company!
It couldn’t be simpler to throw this dream farmhouse cake together. No mixer, no fuss! Let’s bake this!
Vegan Buttermilk Strawberry Cake - Easy
- 3/4 cup home-made vegan buttermilk - ¾ cup unsweetened non-dairy milk + 1 teaspoon vinegar or lemon - let sit up to 5-15 minutes to sour
- 1/3 cup oil of choice
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: 2 teaspoons lemon zest from 1 large lemon
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup sugar of choice (can add up to 1 cup for sweeter and can also reduce to 2/3 cup for less sweet for other options.)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups strawberries fresh, chopped or sliced, no large chunks
- Optional: Sprinkle some sugar for top before baking or can sift some powdered sugar after cooled to top of cake
- Combine the non-dairy milk and vinegar. Mix together and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Take half the flour mixture and mix well with the wet ingredients. Once incorporated add the rest and mix well.
- Fold in berries.
- Pour the batter in a prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. IMPORTANT: Make sure the cake is not jiggly at all on top and the top looks done. If it doesn't look done, it isn't done. Should look for very lightly golden brown in center of cake for sure, as a tip for doneness.
- Cool the cake and top with powdered sugar or dairy-free whipped cream
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.