We were looking for an Irish dish to make for St. Patty’s Day, and we came across this Irish Lemon Pudding recipe. It looked interesting and easy enough for a Vegan experiment attempt. We swapped out the eggs for aquafaba, and to our surprise the results were really exceptional, first try!
Vegan Irish Lemon Pudding with Aquafaba?
Yes, aquafaba, which is actually the liquid that is in a can of chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans). When you open up a can of chickpeas, you simply reserve this liquid and keep it on hand to use as an egg replacer! It’s pretty magical!
How To Make This Vegan Irish Lemon Pudding Recipe
It’s such an easy recipe. Grease a 9-inch pie pan. If you have a springform pan that would be even better. Mix up all ingredients, except for the aquafaba in a medium-large bowl. Whisk the aquafaba in a small bowl until it’s foamy (it should just take about 30 seconds). Mix the foamy aquafaba in with the rest of the ingredients. Then pour the mixture into the pie dish and bake at 350 degrees for about 35-40 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
How To Tell If The Lemon Irish Pudding Is Set
Once the pie starts to get just very slightly brown around the edges you can remove it from the oven, and let it cool. The pudding will still be a little jiggly. After about 15 minutes you should notice the pie is setting up. You can dig in then if you like. If you leave the pie in the refrigerator for a few hours the texture will firm up some more (it was so good the next day!).
The Taste & Texture Of Lemon Irish Pudding
It tastes so good. It’s not too sweet, because only 1/4 cup of sugar is used. It has quite a strong lemon taste. So if you don’t enjoy lemon flavor, you’re on the wrong page (we’ve got plenty of other delicious dessert recipes for you to try)! 🙂
The texture is firmer than a traditional pudding. I’d say it’s more like a creme brulee texture.
Vegan Irish Lemon Pudding
- 1/4 cup Organic Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Vegan Butter
- 1/3 cup Aquafaba (liquid from canned chickpeas)
- 2 Lemons (zested & juiced)
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 1 & 1/4 cups Non-Dairy Milk (we used unsweetened soy)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and grease a 9 inch pie dish or springform pan.
- In a medium-large bowl cream 2 Tbsp of Vegan butter with 1/4 cup of organic sugar, with a hand mixer.
- Add zest of 2 lemons, plus their juices, 1/2 cup of flour, and 1 & 1/4 cups of non-dairy milk. Mix well.
- In a small bowl add 1/3 cup of aquafaba and whisk it until it's foamy (30-60 seconds). Then add the foamy aquafaba into the bowl with the rest of the ingredients, and mix.
- Pour the mixture into the pie dish (or springform). Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes, until slightly brown around the edges. Remove from the oven and let cool for at least 15 minutes. The pudding pie will set more as it cools. For the best results you can place it in the refrigerator for a few hours.
- Top it off with powdered sugar if you like!