A Vegan lentil shepherd’s pie is something we can often make with our leftovers. In the late 1700’s the Shepherd’s and Cottage pies were created as a way for people to use up their leftovers from the week’s cooking. Traditionally this is made with lamb or beef which gives it the shepherd or cottage name. Shepherd”less” pie does not contain any meat or dairy. We made ours with some sweet potatoes that we had around in addition to russet potatoes which gave ours the yellow color. It’s such a hearty, savory, and filling meal.
Vegan Shepherdless Pie
- 2 cups green beans (we used a frozen package)
- 1/2 cup lentils
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 medium-large carrots chopped
- 1 jalapeno chopped (optional)
- 2 large stalks of celery chopped
- 1 small package mushrooms chopped roughly
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes (with their juice) (we used cherry tomatoes chopped up roughly in food processor)
- 3 sweet potatoes chopped roughly (leave skin on if you like)
- 4 cups potatoes chopped roughly (leave skin on if you like)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 heaping spoonfuls non-dairy butter/margarine
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2/3 tsp garlic powder (or use 2 minced garlic cloves if you have them)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 tsp dried tarragon
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cook lentils according to package (we boiled covered for 20 minutes), drain, and set aside.
- Meanwhile in a large pot boil your chopped potatoes and sweet potatoes until they are tender (~30 minutes). When they're finished drain them into a large bowl, and mash them together with 2 heaping spoonfuls of non-dairy butter/margarine. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
- While potatoes are cooking, heat oil in a separate large pot or tall pan.
- On medium heat cook onion, carrots, jalapeno, celery, and garlic powder. Stir often for about 5 minutes until vegetables soften.
- Add mushrooms, 2 bay leaves, 1/2 tsp dried sage, 1/2 tsp dried tarragon, 1/4 tsp dried thyme. Stir often for 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in 1/4 cup tomato paste, 1 cup vegetable stock, and tomatoes with their juice. Boil and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Stir in green beans and lentils with the rest of the vegetable mixture. Cook for about 3 minutes.
- Spread the vegetable mixture evenly into a large glass baking dish.
- Spoon the mashed potato mixture over top of the vegetable mixture. Spread it around evenly, then bake it uncovered for 30 minutes. Let it rest for at least 5 minutes after you take it out of the oven. Have a satisfying meal! 🙂
Vegan Lentil Shepherd’s Pie Shopping List
- Tomato Paste
- Vegetable Stock
- Non-Dairy Butter
- Olive Oil or Grapeseed Oil or Avocado Oil
- Garlic Powder
- Bay Leaves
- Dried Sage
- Dried Tarragon
- Dried Thyme
- Salt & Pepper
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Other Vegan dinner recipes feel left out and really want to be seen! Check them out here: https://dailyveganmeal.com/category/vegan-dinner-recipes/