This easy Vegan green bean casserole is not your traditional version. It’s a healthier version, with a few twists.. It’s got fennel and red pepper which pair amazingly with the green beans. Fennel has many health benefits. It also excludes mushroom. Since our gravy and stuffing recipes contain mushroom, we decided to create our green bean casserole without them.
Most green bean casseroles have a ton of butter, cream, and mushroom soup, which makes them pretty unhealthy. Our version tastes great, and we dare to say it’s perhaps even better than traditional versions! It’s pretty healthy too. The fried onions are the only thing we’d say aren’t healthy in this recipe, but we found some that seem healthier than most here.
This recipe is pretty easy to make. We simply heat the vegetables, stir in flour to make a roux, add in milk to stir and thicken the sauce, then bake it for 20 minutes. It’s completely ready in 40 minutes.
Easy Vegan Green Bean Casserole
- 1/2 bulb fennel sliced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 small-medium yellow onion roughly diced
- 1.5 cups fried onion
- 1 15 oz. bag frozen green beans
- 4 tbsp olive oil or grapeseed/avocado
- 1 tsp minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp flour
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 cups non-dairy milk unsweetened, unflavored – we used oat milk
- If you're using a frozen bag of green beans, heat them in the microwave for 3 minutes. If you're using fresh green beans, you can steam them for 10 minutes. Then set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large pan on low-medium heat, and add garlic, onion, and fennel. Cook for about 4-5 minutes. Stir often.
- Add 2 tbsp soy sauce and sliced red bell pepper. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add 3 tbsp flour and stir well to make a roux. Season with salt & pepper.
- Keep stirring while adding 2 cups non-dairy milk (unsweetened & unflavored). Stir often until sauce is thickened. It could take about 10 minutes.
- Add green beans and 1/2 cup fried onions. Stir until combined, and transfer it to a baking dish. Top the casserole with more fried onions (about 1 cup). Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.
Easy Vegan Green Bean Casserole Shopping List
- Casserole Dish
- Olive Oil or Grapeseed Oil or Avocado Oil
- Fried Onion
- Minced Garlic
- Soy Sauce
- Salt & Pepper
- Non-Dairy Milk – Unsweetened and Unflavored
This post contains affiliate links, which give us a small cut of each sale made through them, at no extra cost to you.