As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Vegan mashed potatoes and gravy will be on the plates of many Vegans for the holidays. We know of a good recipe which is not plant-based, but it’s simple to transform it to a Vegan-friendly version. These mashed potatoes with mushroom gravy are so creamy and savory. We just love them!
We built our mashed potatoes from this popular Chef John recipe. We stuck with Chef John for his mushroom gravy recipe too. Both recipes are highly rated with many reviews. We simply turned his recipes Vegan. We hope you’ll enjoy them!
Vegan Mashed Potatoes
- Potato Masher
- 1/2 tsp Minced Garlic optional
- 1 tsp Chives optional
- Peel potatoes if you like (we leave skin on personally), and chop them.
- Put potatoes in a large/medium pot and cover with salted water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover the pot with a lid and cook for an additional 20-25 minutes.
- Drain potatoes, then place them back into the pot and cook on high for 45-60 seconds. It will help remove some moisture.
Vegan Mushroom Gravy
- In a saucepan heat 1/4 cup Vegan butter on medium heat. Once it melts completely cook it for another minute.
- Add mushrooms to melted butter. Reduce heat to medium-low, stir and cook for 20 minutes. Stir every few minutes.
- Add 1/3 cup flour to mushrooms, stir well, and cook for 5 minutes. Stir often.
- Add 1 cup of mushroom stock, and stir until fully mixed, 1-2 minutes. Pour in the rest of the mushroom stock, and add 1/4 tsp dried thyme. Reduce heat to low and cook for 30 minutes. Stir often. Test the gravy half way through the cooking to see if you'd like to add salt & pepper to taste. The gravy should thicken a little bit after it's removed from heat.
Vegan Mashed Potatoes and Gravy Shopping List
Non-Dairy Milk Macadamia!?
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases (at no extra cost to you).
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.