As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Here is a unique, healthy vegan recipe that is so delicious and comforting. We call it Baked Beans with Sweet Potatoes and Crispy Kale. The flavors and textures of this dish work so well in perfect harmony. This vegan recipe is perfect for dinner on its own, or it’ll work well as a side dish too.
The sauce that goes in this dish is really sweet and tasty. It’s got organic brown sugar, cinnamon, soy sauce, mustard powder, and cayenne (gotta get that kick!). It works really well with the beans, giving them that awesome sweet baked beans taste.
Oh, and that crispy kale.. yummm. If you are a fan of kale you’ll certainly love it cooked this way if you haven’t tried it before. If you’re not the biggest kale fan, you may change your mind after having it crispy. The crispy kale really adds a nice element of texture and taste to this recipe.
Baked Beans with Sweet Potatoes and Crispy Kale
- baking dish
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 cups kale (measured after squeezing/massaging for ~1 minute)
- 30 oz canned pinto beans
- ¼ cup barbecue sauce
Drizzle on top
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- 1 Tbsp oil (optional)
- Wash and pierce sweet potatoes ~5 times. Then microwave for 4 minutes (for very large sweet potatoes. If your potatoes are smaller microwave for less time).
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a medium bowl stir together the sauce ingredients.
- Dice the sweet potatoes however you like. Add them to a large baking dish.
- Drain and rinse the beans, and add them to the baking dish.
- Drizzle the sauce mixture onto the sweet potatoes and beans.
- Brush the barbecue sauce on top of the sweet potatoes and beans.
- Massage and squeeze the kale for about 1 minute, and add it on top of the potatoes and beans.
- Drizzle about 1T of oil (if using) onto the kale. Sprinkle salt & pepper on the top.
- Bake at 400°F for 45 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are the perfect texture for your liking.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.