As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
We had some potatoes to use up, and we are SO happy with what we did with them. We created this super delicious and comforting Vegan Cheesy Veggie Potatoes recipe.
When we were cooking this dish the plan was just to have the vegetable, potato, and spice mixture on its own. I think that’d be a pretty fine idea, personally. But while we had the veggies in the oven, and a beer was being enjoyed, we thought “hmm maybe we should add a cheesy sauce to it!” We were pretty glad we did make the sauce, because it turned out PERFECTLY! It all goes together so well.
Cooking the Vegan Cheesy Veggie Potatoes
Cooking this dish is actually not hard at all. It takes a little bit of work to wash and cut all of the vegetables. Once that’s out of the way it’s easy-peasy. You just have to toss the vegetables and spices together in a large bowl, and then place them into a baking dish, where they’ll cook for about 1 hour.
While the veggies are baking we make our cheesy sauce. It’s a simple sauce, but it’s so good. It’s super easy to make. We make a roux by cooking the vegan butter together with the flour. Then we gradually add in the vegan milk, whisking constantly until it’s all added and the sauce starts to thicken. It should take about 10 minutes or so. If the sauce seems to thin just remember that the nutritional yeast will thicken it a little bit more too. Just cook it a little bit longer and it will thicken up. Stir the nutritional yeast and the spices in when all the milk has been added and the sauce is thickening. When it’s ready we take the veggies out of the oven, and stir the sauce in. Place the veggies back and let it all cook together for the remainder of time left.
Vegan Cheesy Veggie Potatoes
- 6 medium red potatoes (or any other potato - diced)
- 2 medium carrots (sliced)
- 8 oz brussels sprouts (ends cut off and sliced in half)
- 2 cups kale (massage it for about a minute beforehand, then measure about 2 cups worth)
- 6 oz mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 tsp fresh ginger (grated, optional)
Spices & Oil
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 Tbsp oil (optional)
Bake the Veggies
Make the Vegan Cheesy Sauce
- When there's about 30 minutes left on the timer you can go ahead and start making your Vegan Cheesy Sauce.
- Gradually add 2 cups of vegan milk, about 1/3 cup at a time, whisking often. It should take about 10 minutes for all of the milk to get added in and the sauce to thicken properly.
Add the Vegan Cheesy Sauce to the Veggies
- When the sauce is a nice consistency, you can take the veggies out of the oven and add the cheesy sauce to it. Stir the sauce right into the veggies in the baking dish. Put it back in the oven for the remaining time.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.