As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
We’ve done it, we’ve absolutely nailed it.. this is the best mac and cheese we’ve ever had (vegan or non-vegan)! This macaroni & cheese is absolutely amazing and comforting. It’s cheesy and so perfect. It’s not hard to make, and is ready in about 15 minutes.
This recipe is made very cheaply. We don’t need to purchase expensive cashews for this one. It doesn’t require crazy ingredients either. If you eat a vegan diet, then odds are that you have most or all of these ingredients already on hand.
How do you make the best mac & cheese ever?!
Well, there are a couple of key ingredients that really make this mac & cheese stand out. Other ingredients can be subbed for, but these following 2 ingredients I’d say are a must:
Arrowroot powder (or arrowroot flour/starch – they’re the same thing) – Arrowroot gives the sauce its perfect cheesy texture.
Vegan mayo – It just makes this mac and cheese perfect. Something was missing without the mayo, but after adding it in, it was just spot on absolutely perfect.
To make this mac & cheese recipe, we add vinegar to the milk, to make a vegan buttermilk. While that’s happening we make a roux by heating the oil with the arrowroot powder. Then we gradually add in the vegan milk (unsweetened & unflavored) ~1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently. When the sauce thickens we add another 1/2 cup of the milk and stir frequently again. Repeat until all milk is used.
The mixture will be a bit lumpy, but it’s ok because we transfer it to a food processor (or blender) with the remaining ingredients. Process for 30-60 seconds, it should get smooth quickly. After that, just cook it for another minute and stir in the macaroni. It’s easy!
The Beyond Sausage, Veggies, and Macaroni Combo
We cooked up 3 Beyond Sausages on the skillet, and microwaved a frozen bag of peas & carrots to add to our vegan mac & cheese. This was a super comforting dinner that tasted really good. The possibilities are endless for what you could do with your mac & cheese. Add some mushrooms, peppers, tomatoes, whatever you like! It’d go good with so many things.
Best Ever Vegan Macaroni & Cheese
- 1 lb macaroni noodles
- 2 cups unsweetened vegan milk (we used oat)
- 1 tsp vinegar
- ¼ cup oil of choice (we used canola)
- ¼ cup arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp lemon pepper seasoning
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1½ Tbsp nutritional yeast (~4½ tsp, you can bump this up to 2 Tbsp if you like)
Optional ingredients to make it a full meal
- 3 cooked beyond sausages sliced
- 1 package mixed frozen vegetables (cooked in microwave)
- Boil some water for the macaroni noodles and cook them. Drain, rinse (to slow cooking) and set aside. While waiting for the macaroni to cook you can make the sauce.
- Add 1 tsp vinegar to 2 cups of vegan milk and set aside for at least 5 minutes. Proceed with next step while waiting.
- Add roughly ½ cup of the milk into the pan and stir it together for 1-2 minutes. When it's combined well and thickened add another ½ cup of the milk and repeat, stirring until it gets thick. Repeat until all milk is used.
- There will likely be chunks in the sauce, so now is the time to add it to your food processor or blender. Also add the remaining spices and vegan mayonnaise. Mix it for about a minute until it's very smooth.
- Return the cheese sauce into its pan and cook on medium heat for another 1-2 minutes, stirring often. Add macaroni noodles to the sauce and stir them in.
- Time to eat!
We have other vegan mac & cheese recipes. Which is your favorite?
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.