These Vegan cheesy potatoes got the seal of approval from our family. Our 9-month old baby didn’t want to stop eating them! and our 4-year old daughter who is a notoriously picky eater even scarfed them down.
It’s easy to make! Especially with the use of a nice quality mandoline like this one at Amazon: Best Mandoline Slicer. I really love this mandoline! We believe in buying high-quality items that will last us for many many years, rather than re-buying lower quality items many times. You may end up spending more over the long run with lower quality items, and you don’t get the benefit of using better items!
To make these delicious cheesy potatoes we slice up our potatoes, coat them with oil, salt, and pepper, and bake them at 450 degrees for 20 minutes. While they’re cooking we make our cheesy sauce.
For the sauce we make a roux, then add in most of the sauce ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes. Then we stir in the final secret ingredients: nutritional yeast and tapioca starch. We pour our delicious cheesy sauce over the potatoes and finish it off in the oven.
Hopefully you’ve got some high quality Himalayan pink salt and freshly ground black pepper to put on top of these delicious potatoes!
Vegan Cheesy Potatoes
- Mandoline (optional)
- 5 large russet potatoes sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup olive oil (divided) or grapeseed / avocado oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup flour whole wheat is preferred for health
- 1/2 can full fat coconut milk ~1.25 cups
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp tapioca starch
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Wash potatoes and slice them thinly (with a mandoline if you have one). We left the skin on, but you can peel them if you prefer.
- Place the sliced potatoes in a baking dish and toss with 1/4 cup oil and your preferred amounts of salt & pepper. Bake at 450 degrees for 20 minutes.
- While potatoes cook make a roux in a large skillet or pot by heating the remaining 1/4 cup oil on medium heat, and whisking in 1/4 cup flour. It should take 2-3 minutes.
- When roux is mixed well and bubbling, add in 1/2 can full fat coconut milk, 2 cups water, 1 tsp onion powder, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric, and 1/4 tsp lemon juice. Stir well and reduce heat to low after it starts to boil. Stir often, and cook for 10 minutes, then whisk in the 1/2 cup nutritional yeast and 1 tbsp tapioca starch.
- Pour cheese mixture over potatoes and bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes. You can finish it off in the broiler for ~3 minutes if you like to lightly brown the top (watch carefully!). Remove from oven and sprinkle salt & pepper.
Nutritional yeast might be my favorite Vegan ingredient. Read this post to see why I like it so much.
Vegan Cheesy Potatoes Shopping List
These are Amazon affiliate links.
- Cooking Supplies