If it was up to me, I’d eat spaghetti with a tomato sauce for at least half of my dinner meals. It’s always been a favorite food of mine. I wonder how many pounds of spaghetti and tomato sauce I’ve consumed through my lifetime, lol. I proudly present to you our version of Vegan lentil bolognese. It was my first time making it, and I think I nailed it pretty good! This recipe’s surely going to be a staple in our household moving forward.
This recipe is pretty healthy. It’s loaded with nutritious lentils, tomatoes, and nutritional yeast. The lentils give a nice texture to this sauce.
This awesome sauce is really easy to make. We chopped up our onion in a food processor, then cooked it in oil for a few minutes. Next we added minced garlic and cooked it for another minute. Then we added the spices, tomatoes, and lentils. We put a cover on the pot, and simmered it for 25 minutes. While the sauce was simmering we cooked our pasta. When the lentils had softened up, we stirred in nutritional yeast and served it over the pasta.
Vegan Lentil Bolognese
- 2 tbsp olive oil or grapeseed / avocado oil
- 1/2 yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 24 oz tomato sauce
- 1 lb tomatoes we used 6-7 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup lentils uncooked, rinsed
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast optional
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large nonstick skillet or saucepan on medium heat.
- Cook chopped onion in the oil for ~3 minutes until it softens. Add minced garlic and cook for another minute. Then add 2 tsp basil, 1 tsp oregano, 24 oz tomato sauce, and chopped fresh tomatoes. Stir well while cooking for another minute.
- Add 1/2 cup lentils to the sauce, stir them in, then lower the heat to low and cover. Cook for 25 minutes or until lentils soften, and stir occasionally. Finally add in nutritional yeast if you're using it, and then remove from heat. Serve over your favorite pasta.
Vegan Lentil Bolognese Shopping List
These are Amazon Affiliate Links
- Cooking Supplies