As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Pasta Caprese is definitely one of my favorite pastas. Before I turned Vegan I really loved the combination of mozzarella with tomatoes and balsamic.
To recreate this dish in a plant-based way we’re using extra firm tofu. We squeeze out extra liquid from the tofu, and cook it with garlic and balsamic vinegar. This gives the tofu that Caprese flavor that many of us love. The texture of the tofu is pretty similar to a soft mozzarella also.
We decided to add in fennel root because it’s delicious, and it adds a little bit of harder texture that goes well with the rest of the dish. We had half of a fennel bulb leftover from our Easy Vegan Green Bean Casserole.
The lemon juice doesn’t overpower this pasta, but it adds a freshness to the flavor that elevates this dish. We used grapeseed oil, but you can definitely use olive oil, avocado oil, or whichever oil you prefer.
Vegan Pasta Caprese
- Cook pasta in salted water according to package and set aside.
- While pasta cooks, squeeze tofu gently over a sink to drain some of its liquid. Then cut it into 1 inch cubes.
- Cook sliced fennel and 2 cloves garlic in the balsamic vinegar for ~4 minutes, stirring often. Then add tofu and stir gently, and continue to cook for ~3 minutes. Finally stir in a handful of spinach and cook for 2 more minutes to allow it to wilt. Remove from heat.
- In a bowl combine 1/3 cup grapeseed oil, 2 tbsp lemon juice, and 1/2 tsp dried basil.
- Feel free to eat it warm, or stick it in the refrigerator to make it an amazing pasta salad.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.