As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These Amazing 30 Minute Vegan Tempeh Tacos are awesome! We followed much of this recipe from TheLiveInKitchen. We thank them so much for the inspiration!
We adore tempeh. If you aren’t familiar, tempeh is just fermented soy beans. It’s a much more dense texture than tofu, sort of like a chicken texture. Tempeh can be used in all kinds of great meals, including these marvelous vegan tempeh tacos.
1 cup of tempeh has about 30g of protein and is full of probiotics! Don’t be scared to give tempeh a try!
This recipe turned out great! The seasoning is better than any taco seasoning from a pouch. Top your tacos with salsa, avocado, cabbage or salad mixture and you are set.
The Best Vegan Tempeh Tacos
- 8 oz tempeh chopped very small
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bell pepper sliced thin and long
- 5 mushrooms chopped
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1.5 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ancho chile powder
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 tbsp water
Other Optional Ingredients
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 lime Juice
- 1 tomato diced
- vegan sour cream optional
- shredded vegan cheese (we like Follow Your Heart brand)
- shredded cabbage
- Add tomato paste and water to spice mixture. Stir well.
- Chop up the tempeh into very small pieces.
- Heat up 1 tbsp. olive oil and cook bell pepper slices for 3-4 minutes on medium heat.
- Add chopped tempeh, mushrooms, and spice paste. Stir well, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook for ~7 minutes. If mixture looks too dry you can add small amounts of water.
- While tempeh mixture cooks, you can heat up the tortillas, by microwaving them for 30 seconds covered with a towel.
- If you are using avocado, tomato, and lime juice, you can chop them up, and mix them together.
- Make your tacos with all toppings of your choice, and enjoy!
Shopping List for Vegan Tempeh Tacos
- Tempeh (bulk)
- Olive Oil
- Chili Powder
- Corn Starch
- Sea Salt
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Ground Coriander
- Ancho Chile Powder
- Tomato Paste
- Shredded Vegan Cheese (bulk – I’ve heard this brand is incredible!)
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.