This post contains Amazon affiliate links.
One of the best comforting quick breads out there on this earth is this amazing Best-Ever Banana Chocolate Chip Bread. We don’t know of anyone who can turn this Banana Chocolate Chip Bread down!
It has the perfect balance of chocolate and banana! It’s so moist, dense, and full of true banana flavor with mini shots of chocolate in each bite. It’s also healthy and made vegan, using one bowl, no mixer and easy to throw together without a lot of fuss.
This Best-Ever Banana Chocolate Chip Bread is a great recipe if you have ripe bananas that you need to use up before they go completely bad.
Ripe bananas are the way to go when making banana bread BTW. The riper the banana, the sweeter it will become when using, like magic! It’s often used as a sugar replacement, although I find I have to add a little sugar when making a cake or bread, because it’s too bland without it most of the time.
Speaking of sugar, as for a vegan sugar, Zulka is a great organic choice and bonus — it’s also non-GMO! Some sugars go through a refining process which uses charred cattle bones to make it look whiter. Zulka is never refined and does not use animal products in any part of production.
Most stores carry Zulka Pure Cane Sugar for a very, very affordable price and Zulka also has Brown Pure Cane Sugar, Powdered Pure Cane Sugar and a Zulka Balance Sugar & Stevia too! I used the brown sugar, but you can use the regular cane sugar and you will be very happy with it. I use it all the time and I love the results!
Now…if you don’t have time to make something with your ripe bananas, don’t keep throwing them out! I was doing this for a long time and it was such a waste. Frozen bananas are great to have on hand for smoothies and baking goodies, and take just a few minutes to prepare.
You can either leave them in their banana skins and place them in a ziplock back and freeze them. When ready to use, just let them thaw a bit and them remove them from the banana peel. Super easy and this is what I call the lazy way, which there’s on shame!
Or…you can go ahead and take them out of their skins and chop them up to desired size and freeze them. First, line a baking sheet with parchment or waxed paper and line up the banana pieces in a single layer, which ensures they don’t stick together. Freeze until the bananas are solid, about 2 hours, then place them all in a ziplock bag or freezer-friendly container and freeze away. Be sure to label the containers/bags and freeze the bananas for up to 6 months.
Now who’s got some bananas, chocolate chips and a hankering for Banana Chocolate Chip Bread? I knew you did! Get ready for some yum!
Love banana chocolate chip bread? You’ll also love…
Banana Chocolate Chip Bread
- 4 medium ripe bananas or 3 medium bananas + ¼ cup applesauce
- ¼ cup olive oil or oil of choice or melted vegan butter
- ¼ cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup brown sugar Zulka is a good choice
- 2 tsp maple syrup or vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour or gluten-free 1 for1 cup flour like Bob’s Red Mill
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips we used Enjoy life Mini Chocolate Chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spray a 9×5 loaf pan with nonstick spray and line with parchment paper and spray again, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the bananas using a fork or masher. Add the brown sugar, oil, vanilla/maple syrup, and almond milk, and whisk together until combined.
- Add in the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon, and use a wooden spoon to mix until just incorporated. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Transfer the batter to your prepared pan.
- Bake for about 50 - 65 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a couple crumbs.
- Make sure bread has baked through on top of bread.